Skip to main content

For the F-cking King of Burgers: “Bill’s Bar and Burger"








Ah the perfectly made burger. It is a rarity I tell you. I am very picky about the way my burger has to be cooked and the way it has to taste. For starters I cannot see any signs of life like ANY red whatsoever. Secondly I need it to be the right constancy, thin not thick, not too large, and definitely not dry. I need my meat to have some moisture with each bite going down. It also helps if there are some delicious toppings on it. Avocados are my favorite. I would probably eat anything that had avocado on it and I have just eaten an entire one all by myself with a spoon and nothing more.

My latest favorite burger toppings are Swiss cheese, American cheese, caramelized onions, and Thousand Island dressing. For kicks let’s put that on marble rye. It might sound like a random combination but this creation is the Onion Soup Patty Melt that I had Bill’s. That is Bill’s Bar and Burger.

Shockingly I did not hear about this from the Huffington Post, New York Times, or Time Out New York magazine. I found it by simply using Google. I was looking around in the Gansevoort neighborhood knowing I was spending the day there and wanted some options for lunch. Bill’s Bar and Burger popped up immediately and with a quick glance at the website I was sold. It was right near where I would be and the menu sounded amazing. I also liked that it had a variety of food choices so as not to exclude any picky eaters. I can be a picky eater so when I see more than five things I would eat on a menu I am pretty sure that there won’t be any problems.

We sandwiched lunch between the gallery and the marketplace. The timing was perfect as I was starving and in the mood for good food. As soon as we entered Bill’s I was all in. The décor and atmosphere was even better than I pictured it. Luckily we didn’t have to wait for a table even though I had made a reservation just in case but we were early for that anyways.

There was so much to take in all around us I was trying to soak in all of the images. Unfortunately while I was doing that I realized it was perhaps a million degrees inside. Keep in mind this was a day when the winter weather was having a milder feel. Naturally I had to strip. Off went my sweatshirt and t-shirt, luckily for everyone I had many layers and was now down to my tank top.

Once I had the waiter crack open the back door then I was able to return looking at my menu. I would like to point out here that I wasn’t the only one sweating; I just was the only one who took their clothes off. Hey desperate times call for desperate measures. I was not going to let the heat ruin my day while causing me to have a migraine.

It was then I decided to split the Onion Soup Patty melt and an order of veggie fries. I had no idea what that meant but because I have never heard of those type of fries naturally I had no choice but to order them. Our table also ordered hot dogs and regular fries.

There was another order for a regular cheeseburger but I am disappointed to tell you that when it was not cooked thoroughly as the patron requested it was not acknowledged and corrected. Instead our waiter decided this was as well done as a burger could be there so he ended up taking it back. I have to say I have never seen that in a restaurant before. It left me with a bad taste in my mouth. 







Despite this injustice everything else was ok. The hot dogs weren’t cooked the way I like them at Nathan’s but those doing the consuming had no complaints. I of course sampled both kinds of fries and this was perhaps the best part of my meal. It turns out that Bill’s veggie fries are literally fried vegetables served in a basket. They were not at all greasy but were rather addicting. We couldn’t stop ourselves from devouring every last morsel.

My burger had a lot of great flavor and thank goodness cooked to my likening or I would have left. I don’t know if it’s the best I have ever eaten but it certainly was up there. To see for yourselves you can read my other burger related blogs (links below). You will see that usually I am only in it for the French fries (http://thequeenoff-ckingeverything.blogspot.com/2012/08/for-eating-your-french-fries-and-all.html). Now I can add veggie fries to the mix. But I am satisfied that I got to eat this scrumptious concoction. I definitely would go there again. As for eating only half of my burger, that was a smart move because it was enough to fill me without hitting the point of no return.

There was a vanilla milkshake I heard about which was apparently also very tasty because after I took its photo I never saw it again. It was all gone. Gone but not forgotten. 



If you are in the NYC area there are three locations you can choose from: Downtown, Meatpacking District, and Rockefeller Center. There is also one in Atlantic City and in Pittsburgh (http://thequeenoff-ckingeverything.blogspot.com/2015/01/for-city-of-bridges-pittsburgh-part-i.html) a city I just adore!

So there now you have no excuses. You will have to seek out Bill’s; he is after all he is The F-cking King of Burgers!  I got to respect that.

For More Information: 


http://www.billsbarandburger.com/

For More of My Reviews about Burgers: 


http://thequeenoff-ckingeverything.blogspot.com/2015_07_01_archive.html

http://thequeenoff-ckingeverything.blogspot.com/2015/08/for-cheez-on-anything-you-pleez-roll-n.html

http://thequeenoff-ckingeverything.blogspot.com/2012/12/for-better-building-burger-experience.html

http://thequeenoff-ckingeverything.blogspot.com/2012/06/for-steak-n-shake.html

http://thequeenoff-ckingeverything.blogspot.com/2012/03/for-shakes-and-shacks.html

http://thequeenoff-ckingeverything.blogspot.com/2011/08/for-five-guys.html


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For My Madness During Migraine Awareness Month

Last weekend as I sat staring at the blank page in front of me, I was still surprised and elated that I had an entire day to myself and unlike past experiences it was filled with what I wanted when I wanted it. There were a few rough moments but when I consider the previous twelve hours (and the days to come) have been better than the last week. Especially this last week even though I had braced myself ahead of time, I just didn’t know I should have braced for a more serious episode. I am a chronic migraine sufferer for so many years I don’t quite remember when they started exactly which is ironic because I can remember every special event they have ruined. I remember plays or dinners I was at where I don’t remember what happened but I could tell you what I felt minute by minute. It amazing how the mind works, especially when it’s operated by a migraine brain. In the last few years, specifically the last few years since I have been going to the Montefiore Headac

For Find Out Friday - Why Do Emery Boards Make My Skin Crawl?

You know that sound a fingernail makes when it scratches against a chalkboard?  You know that feeling the sound of that action gives you? I, like most people, hate that sound.  I instantly feel like scrunching my shoulders up to my neck and closing my eyes.  I feel the exact same way when I am using an emery board to file my nails. This annoying sensation has a name: “grima” which is Spanish for disgust or uneasiness. This term basically describes any feeling of being displeased, annoyed, or dissatisfied someone or something.  It is a feeling that psychologists are starting to pay more attention to as it relates to our other emotions.  Emery boards are traditionally made with cardboard that has small grains of sand adhered to them. It is the sandpaper that I believe makes me filled with grima.  According to studies that are being done around the world, it is not just the feeling that we associate with certain things like nails on a chalkboard or by using emery boards

For a New Chain of Mexican Fast Food: “Dos Toros Taqueria”

When it comes to fast food there are the names we are familiar with: McDonald’s, Burger King, Wendy’s, and Chipotle.  In you live in New York City, there is a new kid in town: Dos Toros.  Dos Toros is relatively new to this area but with any hope there might be one in your town soon.  Started by two brothers, Leo and Oliver Kremer, from Berkeley, California, the Mexican food you find here is inspired by food they loved growing up.  In California, the brothers grew up worshipping Gordo Taqueria, a favorite of Bay Area residents since 1977 (now promptly added to my San Francisco to eat list). Much of the recipes and even decor found at Dos Toros has been modeled on Gordo. Before moving to NYC in 2008, the brothers were living very different lives. Leo was the bassist for the band “Third Eye Blind”. Oliver fresh out of college, considered working in the technology or finance industry. Both disillusioned with their lives, they decided to pursue something they have l