Skip to main content

For Arroz Con Pollo Y Flan De Coco: "Bogata Bistro”







I am an easy person to please. I know what I want, what I like, and what I won’t stand for. This applies to all facets of my life. When it comes to food, I try to live outside the box now and again but certain foods will always bring me happiness and when I discover a new place to have them, it is even better. 

When it comes to the flavors of Latin/Hispanic foods there are too many things I love to eat. It is one of my favorite types of foods. I can never get enough rice and beans especially. You can’t go wrong with that on your plate. I mean I could eat them every day and be happy. It’s a simple dish but has the right tastes, textures, and contentment. I always feel joy about it.

So when I had friends offer to take me to a new place for just such a meal I couldn’t refuse. I had looked forward to it and counted down all day knowing I would find plenty of the things I love to eat and going to a restaurant I knew would be good was perfection. After all these are the folks who introduced me to Burger Bistro (http://thequeenoff-ckingeverything.blogspot.com/2012/12/for-better-building-burger-experience.html), Dinosaur Bar B Que (http://thequeenoff-ckingeverything.blogspot.com/2013/11/for-prehistoric-meal-dinosaur-bar-b-que.html) and Taci’s Beyti (http://thequeenoff-ckingeverything.blogspot.com/2013/12/for-taste-of-turkey-tacis-beyti.html). They are fellow foodies and just like to have a good meal with the ones they care about. Luckily I am on the list.

What is especially great about going out with people, who really know you, is that you can be the very deep honest version of yourself. In fact your company will come to expect it. I love these two for the fact that they know I have high standards, love the AC turned up, and that NO ONE is to touch a thing on the table unless I have already photographed it or they have my permission. You throw in a few laughs and that describes my evening last night.

Now that you know I had a good time and who I was with it is time to talk about the food. I was super hungry when we arrived and the place was so cute. We sat outside but really it was inside as it was enclosed and had AC. Thank God. It had Christmas lights up and a lot of décor that made the atmosphere fun and light. It was beginning to get packed as we were seated so it was a good thing we had a reservation.


In terms of appetizers this particular crew likes to get a few different kinds so we can share. Last night we went out on a limb and got: platanos rellenos (ripe plantain rounds stuffed w/seasoned chicken, chipotle tomato, crema), yucca fritas (fried yucca potatoes with house vinegar- green aji sauce), and the Caribbean coconut fried shrimp (served with tropical cole slaw and tamarind sauce).

They were all fantastic. My favorite was probably the coconut shrimp just because it is a dish I love from any restaurant when it’s done right. You would think you couldn’t screw a recipe like that up but believe me it is possible. The shrimp has to be cooked just the right way and it was. I could have kept going on those alone.

The yucca fritas were good just heavy. After a few sticks it starts to really weigh you down.

The plantains were crispy and sweet. I didn’t need the sauce on the side. In fact all of these dishes were great without the accompanying condiments.

When the waiter came to take our order I forgot we had yet to order the entrees. I was so into the first part of my meal I almost missed out on the second part. I said almost….





I went with their arroz con pollo (shredded chicken mixed with yellow rice, carrots, red peppers, black beans, and avocado). It was one of their famous dishes and I couldn’t resist. I had a craving all day. There was a second order of my dinner as well as one of the specials- fried chicken with jalapeno mac and cheese, and Caribbean potato salad.

When it arrived a few moments later I was in heaven. The presentation won me over. I loved the cup of rice served with the chicken already all mixed in. All I had to do was pour my black beans over it and cut up the avocado slice. It was the most amazing combination of flavors and each one hit the note I was looking for. I just kept mixing it all together and shoving it down my pie hole. I was a happy camper indeed. (PS. I heard the fried chicken was good too, it certainly looked tasty and crispy)






Just when you think we ate enough it turns out there is always room for dessert. I had the flan in the back of my head the entire day. I haven’t had any in years and the last one I tasted I don’t even remember where it was from. After reviewing the dessert menu and seeing how many I was curious about I decided to stick to my guns. I ordered the flan de coco (homemade Brazilian thick and creamy custard and coconut). Additionally we got the churros (traditional Mexican pastry sticks) with chocolate and dulce de leche dipping sauces and two scoops of ice cream in mango and chocolate. Also I had to get an iced Columbian coffee with milk. I knew that coffee would be rich and enjoyable. It most definitely was.

As for the desserts we were all going to taste each other’s but after one bite of my flan I couldn’t put another taste in my mouth. It was beyond anything I have had like it and I hesitate to even call it flan. First of all there was so much of it and I had this little round circle in my head. Next, there were fresh coconut flakes all over it. Lastly when I took a bite it was so rich, heavy, and creamy it was like eating the best cheesecake of your life that was just made. I knew instantly it was the best part of my meal and that I sadly would never finish it. My friends were partial to it also and did enjoy their selections. Even someone who hates flan would love this flan. It is all about the flan baby.

Next time I am going for the empanadas. I adore a good empanada. I wish I had the patience to try to make them. Scratch that I wish I knew someone that made them at my ready.

As we finished our meal we began to talk about what we would want to try the next time we ate here. This resulted in my dear friend Katie pointing out that we don’t have time to come back, at least not for a while. We have too many places left to try out. For me that means I also have a lot to write about.

I think next time we are going to go out for Italian but there was that American style place we discussed, and of course that bar and grill we parked in front of that had specialty sandwiches. Then again there was that delicious smelling pizza in the air the entire night. We have a lot of work to do indeed.

For Bogota Bistro:


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For My Madness During Migraine Awareness Month

Last weekend as I sat staring at the blank page in front of me, I was still surprised and elated that I had an entire day to myself and unlike past experiences it was filled with what I wanted when I wanted it. There were a few rough moments but when I consider the previous twelve hours (and the days to come) have been better than the last week. Especially this last week even though I had braced myself ahead of time, I just didn’t know I should have braced for a more serious episode. I am a chronic migraine sufferer for so many years I don’t quite remember when they started exactly which is ironic because I can remember every special event they have ruined. I remember plays or dinners I was at where I don’t remember what happened but I could tell you what I felt minute by minute. It amazing how the mind works, especially when it’s operated by a migraine brain. In the last few years, specifically the last few years since I have been going to the Montefiore Headac

For Find Out Friday - Why Do Emery Boards Make My Skin Crawl?

You know that sound a fingernail makes when it scratches against a chalkboard?  You know that feeling the sound of that action gives you? I, like most people, hate that sound.  I instantly feel like scrunching my shoulders up to my neck and closing my eyes.  I feel the exact same way when I am using an emery board to file my nails. This annoying sensation has a name: “grima” which is Spanish for disgust or uneasiness. This term basically describes any feeling of being displeased, annoyed, or dissatisfied someone or something.  It is a feeling that psychologists are starting to pay more attention to as it relates to our other emotions.  Emery boards are traditionally made with cardboard that has small grains of sand adhered to them. It is the sandpaper that I believe makes me filled with grima.  According to studies that are being done around the world, it is not just the feeling that we associate with certain things like nails on a chalkboard or by using emery boards

For a New Chain of Mexican Fast Food: “Dos Toros Taqueria”

When it comes to fast food there are the names we are familiar with: McDonald’s, Burger King, Wendy’s, and Chipotle.  In you live in New York City, there is a new kid in town: Dos Toros.  Dos Toros is relatively new to this area but with any hope there might be one in your town soon.  Started by two brothers, Leo and Oliver Kremer, from Berkeley, California, the Mexican food you find here is inspired by food they loved growing up.  In California, the brothers grew up worshipping Gordo Taqueria, a favorite of Bay Area residents since 1977 (now promptly added to my San Francisco to eat list). Much of the recipes and even decor found at Dos Toros has been modeled on Gordo. Before moving to NYC in 2008, the brothers were living very different lives. Leo was the bassist for the band “Third Eye Blind”. Oliver fresh out of college, considered working in the technology or finance industry. Both disillusioned with their lives, they decided to pursue something they have l