Skip to main content

For Fish and Chips









I will eat anything that is fried. I would probably eat my shirt if it were fried. Things just taste better that way. If you disagree you are just lying to yourself. This is why southerners are so polite and friendly, they are happy because they are eating fried chicken all of the time. I am happy just knowing it is in my future. Heck, I am happy knowing just where to go to get something that is fried, golden, crispy, and therefore ultimately delicious.

I love all chips. Just hearing the word chip has me salivating all over myself. Now in the U.S.A. that usually means there is a Pringle or Doritos chip with my name on it. But make no mistake if I am going to eat a French fry instead there is no love lost there (http://thequeenoff-ckingeverything.blogspot.com/2012/08/for-eating-your-french-fries-and-all.html).

Now if you want to add a little culture to your fried treat you may want to treat yourself to something from across the pond, such as something from our mother country England. Lads in England are unanimously known round the world for eating their fish and chips. Fish and chips are as simple as an idea as they appear. They can be different kinds of fish depending on where you go and what you order, that are then deep fried to perfection along with those crunchy fries for the culmination of the ideal afternoon snack or light dinner. I imagine a cold brew would be appropriate here too.

When I went to London in 2009 it was on my must eat list. I went to a pub and properly ordered my fish and chips. According to Frommer’s travel guide they may also appear on the menu as cod and chips, or rock and chips, and should be eaten with salt, pepper, and vinegar as the locals do.



On that first fish and chip eating experience I didn’t fall in love with the first bite. This was also my first night there and I had been sick on the flight over. I remember thinking the food was good but not eating it all. That doesn’t mean I was turned off by the combination or idea of it. Quite the opposite ending up happening actually, I ended up finding the best placing in my hometown to bring a little bit a Britain out of the girl from Brooklyn.











My first taste of the good stuff since that trip was in 2010 at, “A Salt and Battery” here in New York City. God how I love that name, it cracks me up each time I think about it. I had learned about it on the Food Network from Sunny Anderson. She was talking about the deep fried candy bar they had there. After that anything else they had fried was a bonus to me once I got there. (http://thequeenoff-ckingeverything.blogspot.com/2011/04/for-keys-to-my-new-york-city-part-iv.html)

When I did get there and settled down the place was incredibly cute and smelled amazingly appetizing. I decided on the fried shrimp with my chips. They had so many variations of fish it was almost impossible not to find something you liked on the menu. I knew immediately after I was done that a deep fried Mars bar was going to be next on my plate.

While I like fried shrimp I am usually hesitate to order it out. You never know what you are going to get, I am ALWAYS afraid of taking one bite and getting that “fishy” taste and being instantly sorry for what I ordered. Scenarios like that are such big disappointments especially when you seek out a restaurant for a long time.


I am so happy to report that was not the case at “A Salt and Battery”. Not only was the food incredible it was also lighter than I imagined. It didn’t have that down home greasy feeling that is often associated with fried food. I didn’t have to worry about being sick after, which was good since I had another course coming my way. As for that candy bar, I had never had a Mars bar before but from now I am only eating it fried. I feel that is the way God intended it to be. The warm, gooey center with that initial crispy yet soft bite was everything Sunny Anderson said it would be and more. The only way you will ever be able to appreciate it is if you go try one for yourself.

















After this wonderful experience I only had one other fish and chips location on my to do list and this was much closer to my home, it was “Chip Shop” in Brooklyn. A friend and fellow foodie had been telling me to try it for some time after he had been there randomly and enjoyed it. What I remember most about his description was that there were friend macaroni and cheese balls and I was sold. Besides the fried fish, fries, and candy bars, this was going to be a first for me and I was eager to taste one.

When I got there I decided to stick to my previous order and go with the fried shrimp with my chips. I also got the aforementioned mac and cheese ball and decided to skip the candy bar this time. I had a different dessert in mind this day and you will read all about that in my next blog.

First off the mac and cheese ball was amazing but tastes exactly how you would expect. Kind of like a rice ball but with cheddar cheese. Don’t get me wrong I could and would eat one everyday of the week but it’s not worth a whole trip for.

As for the main course I wasn’t over the moon. The food was good but here I felt like I was running into my “fishy” tasting shrimp that I was worried about earlier. The batter was fine and it was totally edible, I just wasn’t as interested in pounding them down the way I was at “A Salt and Battery”. That was my favorite place. To be sure I feel another more recent visit is required to make sure my memory matches my recommendation. Usually they are “dead on balls” accurate, to borrow a phrase from one of my favorite movies, “My Cousin Vinny”.

All and all fish and chips are glorious but you have to find the place that speaks to you and if you can use that as an excuse to go on vacation more power to you.

For Fish and More:





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For My Madness During Migraine Awareness Month

Last weekend as I sat staring at the blank page in front of me, I was still surprised and elated that I had an entire day to myself and unlike past experiences it was filled with what I wanted when I wanted it. There were a few rough moments but when I consider the previous twelve hours (and the days to come) have been better than the last week. Especially this last week even though I had braced myself ahead of time, I just didn’t know I should have braced for a more serious episode. I am a chronic migraine sufferer for so many years I don’t quite remember when they started exactly which is ironic because I can remember every special event they have ruined. I remember plays or dinners I was at where I don’t remember what happened but I could tell you what I felt minute by minute. It amazing how the mind works, especially when it’s operated by a migraine brain. In the last few years, specifically the last few years since I have been going to the Montefiore Headac

For Find Out Friday - Why Do Emery Boards Make My Skin Crawl?

You know that sound a fingernail makes when it scratches against a chalkboard?  You know that feeling the sound of that action gives you? I, like most people, hate that sound.  I instantly feel like scrunching my shoulders up to my neck and closing my eyes.  I feel the exact same way when I am using an emery board to file my nails. This annoying sensation has a name: “grima” which is Spanish for disgust or uneasiness. This term basically describes any feeling of being displeased, annoyed, or dissatisfied someone or something.  It is a feeling that psychologists are starting to pay more attention to as it relates to our other emotions.  Emery boards are traditionally made with cardboard that has small grains of sand adhered to them. It is the sandpaper that I believe makes me filled with grima.  According to studies that are being done around the world, it is not just the feeling that we associate with certain things like nails on a chalkboard or by using emery boards

For Find Out Friday - Why is One Foot More Ticklish Than the Other?

As I sit here typing I can’t seem to stop thinking about my nails. Mainly that they REALLY need to get done. They are starting to chip and become unruly. As soon I as think about making an appointment my mind immediately returns to this question: “which of my feet will be ticklish this time?” Because I am a girl that needs her fingernails and toenails to match, I always get a pedicure whenever I get my nails done. And while this should be an activity I enjoy, it often feels like a chore, despite my going only once every three to four weeks. I know; #firstworldproblems.  Anyway, each and every time I get my toes done, as soon as they are done soaking in the bubbly water I wonder, which of my feet will be ticklish today?  Without fail one of them always seems to get the brunt of it and suddenly what was supposed to be a relaxing activity has made me all tense. So, is there a scientific reason for this?  According to most research, yes. While the answer doesn’t