Skip to main content

For a "Rockin' New Year's Eve" 2012






My earliest memory of New Year’s Eve is sleeping on my couch waiting for the clock to turn midnight. My mother promised to wake me beforehand so we can watch the countdown. My grandmother was over and also falling asleep while we waited for Dick Clark to tell us when that ball will drop. I think my father was working overnight shifts then because I don’t remember him there. My brother wasn’t born yet so this makes me about three or four years old. I can even remember the blue nightgown I had on.

As I grew older, there would be other New Year’s where neighbors would come over and we would yell and holler out on our stoops and bang pots and pans. Brooklyn was always great growing up for New Years and the Fourth of July for big celebrations. When we finally got classy enough to buy noisemakers I loved getting to be the one who took them out of the plastic bag every year and hand them out before midnight.

Between elementary school and high school there were the years that family friends came over. New Year's Day was always reserved for family.

When I was in high school there was a blizzard and while I was snowed in with my best friend we played cards for so long we actually missed New Year’s Eve countdown and all.

Then there was the year my college friends and I went away to a ski resort even though I hate skiing just so we could party.

Finally there was the year I turned twenty-one (in December, just in time) and I made it my mission to party in NYC. I didn’t go near Times Square but to a party at a bar and had a blast. That was one and done and off my bucket list.

There is a reason most New Yorkers don’t go and watch the ball drop. We don’t want to be outside in the cold with drunks from two in the afternoon, without being able to move or go to the bathroom for the next twelve hours, and then figure out how to get out of the fire hazard to get home. So not fun.

Another tip for outer owners, unless you have prepaid for a party in the city at a venue, do not go out until after midnight. Drink at your hotel or at a friends place. After midnight bars will drop their cover charges way down some even down to zero. Drinks too will be cheaper. Trust me drinking at 11:57 for $25 a pop is not any more fun than at 12:05 for $15. But that’s just my advice. Now you have information, so go with God.

Now-a-days I have reverted back to the occasional house party but more often having neighbors and friends over. I work New Year’s Eve and don’t drink because of my migraine meds so I like to keep it light. Plus after a certain age partying on a Monday isn’t exciting anymore. Yes I am officially old.

But it is fun to reminisce and think back to all of the years I have been counting down.

It is sad this will be the first year without Dick Clark. The last few years I have been watching Anderson Cooper because I adore him but I am always forced to change the channel back to hear Dick Clark come on and watch the countdown on that channel. It is just tradition.

This year will be bittersweet as the ABC Channel is airing a special reflecting back on Dick Clark’s life and career from 8pm-10pm, before the New Year’s shows start. It will be a way of still including him in the celebrations.

But Dick Clark isn’t the only one missing from tonight’s events.

As we grow older we loose family members and outgrow friends, and as this is a holiday that bookends the closing of a season of reflection and rituals it is important to remember how we want to commemorate and why.

We are saying goodbye to one year and moving forward to another with hope and the promises we make to ourselves for improvement.

There is the mystery of the unknown and the wonderment of where we will be this time next year. We will develop closer ties with loved ones, perhaps those we don’t even know yet.

Traditions and celebrations go on no matter who is the left to carry them on. 
For that we cheer, kiss, and break out the kitchenware.

For a Love Story Only Dick Clark Could Create:


For New Year’s Eve Fun Facts:



Comments

  1. Well done.. Lets hope this year brings more love, luck and happiness and a better road to more painless days. xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

For My Madness During Migraine Awareness Month

Last weekend as I sat staring at the blank page in front of me, I was still surprised and elated that I had an entire day to myself and unlike past experiences it was filled with what I wanted when I wanted it. There were a few rough moments but when I consider the previous twelve hours (and the days to come) have been better than the last week. Especially this last week even though I had braced myself ahead of time, I just didn’t know I should have braced for a more serious episode. I am a chronic migraine sufferer for so many years I don’t quite remember when they started exactly which is ironic because I can remember every special event they have ruined. I remember plays or dinners I was at where I don’t remember what happened but I could tell you what I felt minute by minute. It amazing how the mind works, especially when it’s operated by a migraine brain. In the last few years, specifically the last few years since I have been going to the Montefiore Headac

For Find Out Friday - Why Do Emery Boards Make My Skin Crawl?

You know that sound a fingernail makes when it scratches against a chalkboard?  You know that feeling the sound of that action gives you? I, like most people, hate that sound.  I instantly feel like scrunching my shoulders up to my neck and closing my eyes.  I feel the exact same way when I am using an emery board to file my nails. This annoying sensation has a name: “grima” which is Spanish for disgust or uneasiness. This term basically describes any feeling of being displeased, annoyed, or dissatisfied someone or something.  It is a feeling that psychologists are starting to pay more attention to as it relates to our other emotions.  Emery boards are traditionally made with cardboard that has small grains of sand adhered to them. It is the sandpaper that I believe makes me filled with grima.  According to studies that are being done around the world, it is not just the feeling that we associate with certain things like nails on a chalkboard or by using emery boards

For a New Chain of Mexican Fast Food: “Dos Toros Taqueria”

When it comes to fast food there are the names we are familiar with: McDonald’s, Burger King, Wendy’s, and Chipotle.  In you live in New York City, there is a new kid in town: Dos Toros.  Dos Toros is relatively new to this area but with any hope there might be one in your town soon.  Started by two brothers, Leo and Oliver Kremer, from Berkeley, California, the Mexican food you find here is inspired by food they loved growing up.  In California, the brothers grew up worshipping Gordo Taqueria, a favorite of Bay Area residents since 1977 (now promptly added to my San Francisco to eat list). Much of the recipes and even decor found at Dos Toros has been modeled on Gordo. Before moving to NYC in 2008, the brothers were living very different lives. Leo was the bassist for the band “Third Eye Blind”. Oliver fresh out of college, considered working in the technology or finance industry. Both disillusioned with their lives, they decided to pursue something they have l