Skip to main content

For a Memorial to Those We Lost on 9/11










I think about September 11, 2001 everyday. That is because I work near where the World Trade Center Towers use to stand. I am a witness to the progress and changes being made everyday. I also bear witness every anniversary to the lives lost, as I sit at my desk, I can hear the names of the dead being read aloud from the street below. It is a hollow moment in time every year as I pause to mourn for those who I didn’t know and watch as construction begins to restore both a monument and future for us all.

Even though the 9/11 museum is still under construction, the remembrance pools are open and operating. All visitors need a pass which is free and can be found in person at the visitor’s center or online. I suggest pre-booking and printing the pass online. It saves you a lot of unnecessary walking. Also be prepared to show I.D. with the same name you put on this pass. There will also be airport-like security, that is to say slow, crowded, hot, and you will have to empty everything in your pockets, jackets off, etc.  So be prepared and carry as little as possible. There is also no food or beverages allowed and garbage cans are in the security area for those who will need it. Keep in mind that this is still relevantly new and that there is timed entry, another good reason to book online, to avoid any additional waiting. There will be plenty all on its own. Try to go during the week and avoid peak times like Saturday afternoons if you can. 

I, myself, was a bit naïve about this process. I knew all of the above, but still thought it would be a relatively easy process. I thought wrong. There is a lot of active construction so that accounts for a lot of walking out of the way and then there is just poor planning. Maybe the site shouldn’t be open so soon. I am not sure. But it was a mess. I was so disappointed. After all the aggravation it took to get in, I thought ok I am in finally. I took out my camera and was all set to take in what I was looking at.

I walked over to the South Pool, in the footsteps of the South Tower, and walked around backwards. I only found that out afterwards because God forbid there is a sign telling you where to start. On the metal panels that surround the pools are the names of those who died and if you had started at the correct place it went like this: Flight 175, Pentagon, Flight 77, Flight 93, and First Responders. Included of course are also the people that worked in that building. The most powerful names for me were the women’s names I saw that had “and unborn child” after it. I had never thought about that. It made me sick to my stomach. Some families had to lose someone they had never even met.






Then I walked towards the North Pool. There, there were the names of the people that worked in World Trade Center Tower 1, Flight 11, and those who died from the attack on February 26, 1993. I didn’t know that the victims from 1993 would be included. I thought that was a very nice touch.

Here is where things went wrong. Today was a windy day and while the water was coming up a bit while I was near the South Pool I was sentimental about it. I thought to myself, wow the drops of water feels like tears dropping from the heavens. I made myself choke up a bit. Then I saw someone had left a rose near a name and was taking a picture of it. It reminded me a lot of what I had seen at the Vietnam Veterans Memorial in Washington D.C., that kind of solemn peacefulness.

As I approached the North Pool I noticed there wasn’t anyone at this pool and the other one was packed. For some reason I diluted myself into thinking that people just hadn’t gotten to this one yet. Nope that wasn’t the reason. But I was on a mission. This was the pool I was really here to see. There was a close friend of my family’s name on this pool and I was there to see it, capture it, and pay my respects. It is a name I listen for every year. Even though I didn’t know this person particularly well, my family did, people I love did, and it makes the situation even more real. But this was not to be my fate.

There was a logical reason why no one else was at this pool and that was because they did not want to drown! I kid you not! The wind was picking up the water so much, despite turning my back and shoving my camera down my shirt as fast as I could we were both soaking wet. I looked as though I had just come out of the shower. Since it was so nice out today I didn’t have a jacket on. Apparently I needed a poncho and that was not in the brochure I was handed on my walk in. The winds and water were so severe I could not look at more than about three names and then had to literally run to get away back towards the South Pool. I looked like a lunatic on fire. It figures that the part I was most into would end up like this.

I am so saddened that many families coming here to honor their own will face many days like this. The other major problem here is that the metal is very, very reflective and hard to see. Even with your sunglasses on and the flash off on your camera, there will be some images you will be simply won’t be able to get clearly. Especially, after it is soaking wet. I also hear that the water in the pools is to remain on permanently as a tribute, sort of like the eternal flame on J.F.K.’s grave. If you have tickets on a day like that I suggest really water proofing your equipment and yourself.

It is such a shame that something meant to be so beautiful and honor so many people was disappointing. I would like to say that when the museum finally opens (no date has been finalized) and the construction is over, that the situation will improve but I am not so sure. What I saw today was typical bureaucracy at its best and maybe a rush to a plan that wasn’t. I had really hoped for more. My only prayer now is that the families and friends of the victims of 9/11 and 1993 find this tribute appropriate and comforting.

For the National 9/11 Memorial:



Comments

  1. I am crying and laughing at the same time. Too bad we don't get to see you soaking wet. Good job as usual. xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

For My Madness During Migraine Awareness Month

Last weekend as I sat staring at the blank page in front of me, I was still surprised and elated that I had an entire day to myself and unlike past experiences it was filled with what I wanted when I wanted it. There were a few rough moments but when I consider the previous twelve hours (and the days to come) have been better than the last week. Especially this last week even though I had braced myself ahead of time, I just didn’t know I should have braced for a more serious episode. I am a chronic migraine sufferer for so many years I don’t quite remember when they started exactly which is ironic because I can remember every special event they have ruined. I remember plays or dinners I was at where I don’t remember what happened but I could tell you what I felt minute by minute. It amazing how the mind works, especially when it’s operated by a migraine brain. In the last few years, specifically the last few years since I have been going to the Montefiore Headac

For Find Out Friday - Why Do Emery Boards Make My Skin Crawl?

You know that sound a fingernail makes when it scratches against a chalkboard?  You know that feeling the sound of that action gives you? I, like most people, hate that sound.  I instantly feel like scrunching my shoulders up to my neck and closing my eyes.  I feel the exact same way when I am using an emery board to file my nails. This annoying sensation has a name: “grima” which is Spanish for disgust or uneasiness. This term basically describes any feeling of being displeased, annoyed, or dissatisfied someone or something.  It is a feeling that psychologists are starting to pay more attention to as it relates to our other emotions.  Emery boards are traditionally made with cardboard that has small grains of sand adhered to them. It is the sandpaper that I believe makes me filled with grima.  According to studies that are being done around the world, it is not just the feeling that we associate with certain things like nails on a chalkboard or by using emery boards

For Find Out Friday - Why is One Foot More Ticklish Than the Other?

As I sit here typing I can’t seem to stop thinking about my nails. Mainly that they REALLY need to get done. They are starting to chip and become unruly. As soon I as think about making an appointment my mind immediately returns to this question: “which of my feet will be ticklish this time?” Because I am a girl that needs her fingernails and toenails to match, I always get a pedicure whenever I get my nails done. And while this should be an activity I enjoy, it often feels like a chore, despite my going only once every three to four weeks. I know; #firstworldproblems.  Anyway, each and every time I get my toes done, as soon as they are done soaking in the bubbly water I wonder, which of my feet will be ticklish today?  Without fail one of them always seems to get the brunt of it and suddenly what was supposed to be a relaxing activity has made me all tense. So, is there a scientific reason for this?  According to most research, yes. While the answer doesn’t