Skip to main content

For the Queen of Photography: Annie Leibovitz





Have you ever met someone you really admired? Someone you thought you might faint if you actually got to see? I have been lucky enough to meet several of my idols: Samantha Brown, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton (when she was a Senator), Dr. Zahi Hawass, Bethenny Frankel, just to name a few. Now I get to add photography legend Annie Leibovitz to that list.

I have been in the room at events with Anderson Cooper before but if we are ever actually introduced and photographed and I remain conscious Lord help me. Rather, Lord help him. We will be doing butterfly kisses until the end of time.

But today was a big day. I met someone who I fantasize about in a different way. In these fantasies we meet, become best friends, and she takes pictures of my future and hypothetical wedding and children for free.  That woman is the Queen of Photography: Annie Leibovitz. I like to say the other Queen of Photography and count myself in as one and since this is my blog I can do that. Let me tell you it is good to be the Queen.

As for Annie, she is a delight. I got my big chance to see her at the only place I go to as often as I go to work; 92Y. They were having an event to celebrate the release of her new book, “Pilgrimage”. Boy do I love that title. And I love the timing of it as it fits into my life this year. I turned 30 recently and I feel like I am on my own journey of self-discovery, different than that photographer’s but one that I can relate to. I too feel better, clearer, now knowing that I still have passion to continue working towards my dream. Annie may have a head start on me but she is my inspiration.

During her lecture I was hooked on her every word as she described the backdrop to the pictures in her book. I loved feeling like I was in on the journey. I also learned that we had a lot in common. We both photograph whatever we are drawn to. We both love textures like leaves and waves of water. All of a sudden sitting there I felt this kinship toward a total stranger and it was incredible. Every time I think of it I smile. Some how I feel like she taught me something about myself without ever having to say a direct word.

The talk was so casual like we were all friends and not a room full of fans and our idol. She even commented that she only ever took pictures for herself and that anyone else ever wanted to see them amazed her. She amazed me.

I loved how she mentioned she was only concerned with content, not equipment. Only with what moved her. This project was a mission to see if she could still find work that she felt passionate about. In the end, traveling with her children she found that she still had the love and it is contagious.

After the lecture she was gracious enough to take two hours to meet and greet anyone who wanted a personal photo and get their book signed. I found that level of kindness and attention so special. When it was finally my turn I actually wasn’t even nervous. We chatted for a few moments and in that time I have never felt so comfortable with a celebrity let alone one I have wanted to meet for so long. It was such an awe-inspiring experience. I didn’t want it to end.

Something about this event has stayed with me.  I have always adored Annie Leibovitz but now I feel her presence with me. I think about what she shared about her experiences and what photography has meant to her and her life and I feel like I have a counterpart in my own pilgrimage.



Comments

  1. So glad you got to meet Annie.. Maybe you are finally on your way to making your dreams come true. xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

For My Madness During Migraine Awareness Month

Last weekend as I sat staring at the blank page in front of me, I was still surprised and elated that I had an entire day to myself and unlike past experiences it was filled with what I wanted when I wanted it. There were a few rough moments but when I consider the previous twelve hours (and the days to come) have been better than the last week. Especially this last week even though I had braced myself ahead of time, I just didn’t know I should have braced for a more serious episode. I am a chronic migraine sufferer for so many years I don’t quite remember when they started exactly which is ironic because I can remember every special event they have ruined. I remember plays or dinners I was at where I don’t remember what happened but I could tell you what I felt minute by minute. It amazing how the mind works, especially when it’s operated by a migraine brain. In the last few years, specifically the last few years since I have been going to the Montefiore Headac

For Find Out Friday - Why Do Emery Boards Make My Skin Crawl?

You know that sound a fingernail makes when it scratches against a chalkboard?  You know that feeling the sound of that action gives you? I, like most people, hate that sound.  I instantly feel like scrunching my shoulders up to my neck and closing my eyes.  I feel the exact same way when I am using an emery board to file my nails. This annoying sensation has a name: “grima” which is Spanish for disgust or uneasiness. This term basically describes any feeling of being displeased, annoyed, or dissatisfied someone or something.  It is a feeling that psychologists are starting to pay more attention to as it relates to our other emotions.  Emery boards are traditionally made with cardboard that has small grains of sand adhered to them. It is the sandpaper that I believe makes me filled with grima.  According to studies that are being done around the world, it is not just the feeling that we associate with certain things like nails on a chalkboard or by using emery boards

For a New Chain of Mexican Fast Food: “Dos Toros Taqueria”

When it comes to fast food there are the names we are familiar with: McDonald’s, Burger King, Wendy’s, and Chipotle.  In you live in New York City, there is a new kid in town: Dos Toros.  Dos Toros is relatively new to this area but with any hope there might be one in your town soon.  Started by two brothers, Leo and Oliver Kremer, from Berkeley, California, the Mexican food you find here is inspired by food they loved growing up.  In California, the brothers grew up worshipping Gordo Taqueria, a favorite of Bay Area residents since 1977 (now promptly added to my San Francisco to eat list). Much of the recipes and even decor found at Dos Toros has been modeled on Gordo. Before moving to NYC in 2008, the brothers were living very different lives. Leo was the bassist for the band “Third Eye Blind”. Oliver fresh out of college, considered working in the technology or finance industry. Both disillusioned with their lives, they decided to pursue something they have l