Skip to main content

For sweets, treats, and a smile on your face









Who knew I liked candy so much?!  I surely didn’t. I crave salt more than sweets. But apparently that’s only true outside of a paradise called Dylan’s Candy Bar. Dylan is Dylan Lauren, Ralph’s daughter. Yep that Ralph. Designer goods must be genetic. Once inside this Willy Wonka inspired land you are literally a kid in a candy store, no matter your age, food preference, or as it turns out, budget. There are two floors (the top is a café that was closed when I visited, thank God) of the most creative and delicious treats you will ever find. Before I knew it I was throwing goody after goody into my basket and flying high without even eating anything yet. There are Jelly Belly’s and M & M’s sorted by flavor and color respectively. 



There is old fashioned candy and candy I could have never conceived of.  There is sugar free and fat free candy. There is candy for every occasion: bridal parties, weddings, birthdays, and even candy to celebrate the birth of a new baby. There is a trophy case filled of boxes with celebrity names on them in case you need suggestions. When in doubt shop like Bill Clinton, Susan Lucci or Kris Jenner!! 




Mostly the store is filled with candy you didn’t know you wanted until you saw it. Then it seems so obvious you become angry you didn’t think of it first. This is a great way to kill anywhere from an hour to an entire day. My best advice is to go during the week or very early or right before closing on the weekends to avoid the crowds and hoards of children, unless you like that sort of thing. What I liked most was the politeness. I have never been in such a confined space where people where still polite and not acting like animals. Now I am sure many were tourists but even a seasoned New Yorker shows a lighter side when bribed with yummy treats.



As if going to Dylan’s Candy Bar wasn’t enough of a sugar high, I also went to Serendipity in the same afternoon. They are on the same block and I actually went to Dylan’s to kill time before my lunch reservation. I have been dying to try Serendipity for years although as fate would have it I had never gotten there until now. It was totally worth the wait!! Now of course it was hyped up quite a bit and it’s so small inside and chaotic that it might not be the scene for everyone. But it is truly something you want to experience once. And I got to cross it off my 2011 to do list!!  I ate a sandwich called The Catcher in the Rye and the name was half of the fun. Beware- apparently most sandwiches there are open-faced with only one slice of bread so ask when ordering to ensure you get exactly what you want. Trust me it’s better than the controversy that occurred at my table. 






The desserts are legendary here. For dessert (yes dessert was necessary because I only purchased items at Dylan’s I hadn’t eaten them yet) you must try the infamous frozen hot chocolate. There are several varieties but I went with the original. It’s enormous like most drinks and meals here so be sure to share one. I also advise sharing a meal so that you have room for dessert, which again you will want to share so you don’t explode from being full. I got the Cinnamon Fudge Sundae, which was: cinnamon ice cream and a slice of apple pie covered in caramel and whipped cream. It was a diabetic coma but serves well as a last meal. The best advice here is to make a reservation. They only take them for lunch and dinner but it’s worth it so that you don’t have to wait. Serendipity’s lines are notoriously long. You could wait for hours and still not get in. It’s better to kill two birds with one stone.

Both of these are places for tourists and locals alike. There is an air of shared excited feelings when going to these places. People are happy spending their money freely on unnecessary but fun treasures. Like I say- don’t tempt me with a good time!!!!












Comments

  1. Very Funny.... You know what I mean..

    Good writing...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

For My Madness During Migraine Awareness Month

Last weekend as I sat staring at the blank page in front of me, I was still surprised and elated that I had an entire day to myself and unlike past experiences it was filled with what I wanted when I wanted it. There were a few rough moments but when I consider the previous twelve hours (and the days to come) have been better than the last week. Especially this last week even though I had braced myself ahead of time, I just didn’t know I should have braced for a more serious episode. I am a chronic migraine sufferer for so many years I don’t quite remember when they started exactly which is ironic because I can remember every special event they have ruined. I remember plays or dinners I was at where I don’t remember what happened but I could tell you what I felt minute by minute. It amazing how the mind works, especially when it’s operated by a migraine brain. In the last few years, specifically the last few years since I have been going to the Montefiore Headac

For Find Out Friday - Why Do Emery Boards Make My Skin Crawl?

You know that sound a fingernail makes when it scratches against a chalkboard?  You know that feeling the sound of that action gives you? I, like most people, hate that sound.  I instantly feel like scrunching my shoulders up to my neck and closing my eyes.  I feel the exact same way when I am using an emery board to file my nails. This annoying sensation has a name: “grima” which is Spanish for disgust or uneasiness. This term basically describes any feeling of being displeased, annoyed, or dissatisfied someone or something.  It is a feeling that psychologists are starting to pay more attention to as it relates to our other emotions.  Emery boards are traditionally made with cardboard that has small grains of sand adhered to them. It is the sandpaper that I believe makes me filled with grima.  According to studies that are being done around the world, it is not just the feeling that we associate with certain things like nails on a chalkboard or by using emery boards

For Find Out Friday - Why is One Foot More Ticklish Than the Other?

As I sit here typing I can’t seem to stop thinking about my nails. Mainly that they REALLY need to get done. They are starting to chip and become unruly. As soon I as think about making an appointment my mind immediately returns to this question: “which of my feet will be ticklish this time?” Because I am a girl that needs her fingernails and toenails to match, I always get a pedicure whenever I get my nails done. And while this should be an activity I enjoy, it often feels like a chore, despite my going only once every three to four weeks. I know; #firstworldproblems.  Anyway, each and every time I get my toes done, as soon as they are done soaking in the bubbly water I wonder, which of my feet will be ticklish today?  Without fail one of them always seems to get the brunt of it and suddenly what was supposed to be a relaxing activity has made me all tense. So, is there a scientific reason for this?  According to most research, yes. While the answer doesn’t