Skip to main content

For the keys to my New York City Part II






A few of my favorite places

·      Get and read the New York Times- I always get the major paper of the place I am visiting. It makes for a great understanding of that place and also as a great souvenir.

·      Broadway plays- see previously blog, For the love of the theater and what it means to me.

·      Ellis Island- Sadly only the main building is open to tourists but to walk through the same way our ancestors did and see what they went through will never leave you. I still wish the old mental ward was renovated but that’s just me.






·      Statue of Liberty- You can take the same ferry from Ellis Island to the Statute of Liberty and do both in the same day. Lady Liberty is so much larger up close and wonderful. Be sure to look up for the inscription of 1776 on the book she is holding. I hope you don’t have to ask why because I am tempted not to tell you but, 1776 is the year America won her independence from the British. The ferry ride there and back is also a great way to view the city and take amazing pictures.






·      Times Square- Congested, yes, but worth walking through. There are now pedestrian walkways and even some stairs to sit on and take it all in. Those stairs also provide an excellent vantage point for taking 360 degree pictures.



·      Discovery Times Square- A great place to see some of the best touring exhibits. In the last year alone there was Titanic and King Tut. Currently on display is Pompeii (see previous blog, For those who love history and artifacts) and Harry Potter The Exhibition which just opened.

·      Museum of Modern Art- Van Gough’s Starry Night is here and a love of mine. Plus the incredible modern art and the bonus of being smaller and easier to get through than the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

·      Fraunces Tavern- George Washington gave a farewell address here during the revolutionary war!! Small but great to see and the tavern below where he ate and drank is newly renovated and just reopened.




·      Ground Zero- So much construction has been done lately and it’s impressive to see the views and progress. To preview the future of the site: http://www.wtc.com/about/





·      St. Paul’s Chapel- Known as the 9/11 church because that is where many firefighters, police officers and first responders stayed during the first few weeks. There are memorials to many of those we lost here.





·      Trinity Church- Robert Fulton and Alexander Hamilton are buried here.







·      92Y- Great cultural center for a meeting authors, actors, singers and so much more.

·      Brooklyn Bridge- You must walk over this once in your lifetime!!! No excuses!! It is such a breathe taking experience and the exhibits at the top are so interesting, plus there the view is unlike anything else. Plus like all good things in life it’s FREE!!






·      Truman Capote’s townhouse (technically he only lived in the bottom level)- This is where he wrote Breakfast at Tiffany’s. It is gorgeous and so worth a drive by (not that kind of drive by). It looks like a house you would see on a plantation in the South and not in the middle of Brooklyn.



·      Brooklyn Farmacy – Every Saturday there are most amazing doughnuts here from the Greenpoint bakery, Peter Pan Donut and Pastry Shop. Tina Fey told the NY Times that upon filming an episode of 30 Rock in the Carroll Gardens neighborhood of Brooklyn she fell in love with these doughnuts. The soda shop also has old school egg creams and other homemade yummy treats. If you go for the doughnuts look out for Bavarian crème (Tina’s and my favorite) although I could go for a jelly, chocolate, or coconut right now too.



·      One Girl Cookies- For delicious “one-bite” cookies that are a favorite of Travel Channel host and travel God Samantha Brown. Check out Samantha Brown here: http://www.travelchannel.com/TV_Shows/Samantha_Brown?intcmp=hp_nav_shows


·      Coney Island- In this landmark neighborhood you need to do 3 things: have a Nathan’s hot dog, ride the cyclone, and go to a minor league baseball game at MCU Park (formerly Key Span Park).





·      Flight 001- This is another great tip I swiped from the all knowing Samantha Brown and conveniently located around the corner from One Girl Cookie. This travel store has anything you need and more importantly stuff you just plain want. I got a package of hysterical luggage tags and a picture book of everything you can think of: food, locations etc. that you can just point to if you are in a country where you don’t speak the language. It’s a lot of fun to look through and even more fun when you splurge on something you didn’t know you couldn’t live without.




Stayed tuned Part 3- where I love to eat in NYC is tomorrow!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For My Madness During Migraine Awareness Month

Last weekend as I sat staring at the blank page in front of me, I was still surprised and elated that I had an entire day to myself and unlike past experiences it was filled with what I wanted when I wanted it. There were a few rough moments but when I consider the previous twelve hours (and the days to come) have been better than the last week. Especially this last week even though I had braced myself ahead of time, I just didn’t know I should have braced for a more serious episode. I am a chronic migraine sufferer for so many years I don’t quite remember when they started exactly which is ironic because I can remember every special event they have ruined. I remember plays or dinners I was at where I don’t remember what happened but I could tell you what I felt minute by minute. It amazing how the mind works, especially when it’s operated by a migraine brain. In the last few years, specifically the last few years since I have been going to the Montefiore Headac

For Find Out Friday - Why Do Emery Boards Make My Skin Crawl?

You know that sound a fingernail makes when it scratches against a chalkboard?  You know that feeling the sound of that action gives you? I, like most people, hate that sound.  I instantly feel like scrunching my shoulders up to my neck and closing my eyes.  I feel the exact same way when I am using an emery board to file my nails. This annoying sensation has a name: “grima” which is Spanish for disgust or uneasiness. This term basically describes any feeling of being displeased, annoyed, or dissatisfied someone or something.  It is a feeling that psychologists are starting to pay more attention to as it relates to our other emotions.  Emery boards are traditionally made with cardboard that has small grains of sand adhered to them. It is the sandpaper that I believe makes me filled with grima.  According to studies that are being done around the world, it is not just the feeling that we associate with certain things like nails on a chalkboard or by using emery boards

For Find Out Friday - Why is One Foot More Ticklish Than the Other?

As I sit here typing I can’t seem to stop thinking about my nails. Mainly that they REALLY need to get done. They are starting to chip and become unruly. As soon I as think about making an appointment my mind immediately returns to this question: “which of my feet will be ticklish this time?” Because I am a girl that needs her fingernails and toenails to match, I always get a pedicure whenever I get my nails done. And while this should be an activity I enjoy, it often feels like a chore, despite my going only once every three to four weeks. I know; #firstworldproblems.  Anyway, each and every time I get my toes done, as soon as they are done soaking in the bubbly water I wonder, which of my feet will be ticklish today?  Without fail one of them always seems to get the brunt of it and suddenly what was supposed to be a relaxing activity has made me all tense. So, is there a scientific reason for this?  According to most research, yes. While the answer doesn’t